Smart SoftPLC controllers are open architecture Programmable Automation Controllers (PAC's) that provide scalable solutions for a wide range of applications in virtually any industry. Priced to meet the needs of small I/O count machine control applications, yet with enough capacity and capability for large process control applications, they are the SMART choice!
The Smart SoftPLC design combines many functions which typically require multiple components, thus reducing costs, engineering time and panel size. A single Smart SoftPLC can provide:
- Deterministic, high speed program execution
- “Unlimited” user logic and data table memory
- Ladder logic and data table addressing similar to Allen-Bradley PLC-5/SLC-500
- Fully documented applications, all documentation resides in the controller
- Supports user functions written in C++
- Compatible with all HMI/SCADA products
A Smart SoftPLC CPU is an unmatched value - it does the basics like storing and running application logic - but it also provides a lot more! Its 512MB of memory, (5) Ethernet ports (4 which are configured as a managed switch), up to (6) COM/USB ports, and flexible I/O interfaces are only the beginning. By combining these rich hardware features with advanced firmware functions, a Smart SoftPLC can often reduce the number of hardware components required for a complete control system.
Every Smart SoftPLC includes the functions and features of all SoftPLC controllers, including:
- 4-port GB managed Ethernet switch, with two Ethernet interfaces (MAC ID's) to support routing capability and to allow separation of communications and ethernet I/O traffic
- (1) stand-alone GB Ethernet port
- (1) RS-485 communications port
- (2) USB 2.0 Host ports for serial communications (eg: DF1, Modbus, ASCII)
- (1) Micro-USB serial console interface for low-level troubleshooting or system setup
- RS-485 ports
- Allen-Bradley "Blue Hose" ports, supporting A-B Remote I/O Master or Slave, or Data Highway Plus (DH+)
- Other serial interfaces (eg: CAN, RS-232, etc.)*
- SoftPLC Programming, Configuration, Monitoring & Troubleshooting
- Remote I/O (eg: ModbusTCP, Modbus) to TealwareTM or other vendor I/O systems
- Communication to SCADA/HMI's or other equipment (eg: drives)
- Peer-to-Peer communications (SoftPLC to SoftPLC or A-B PLC's, or SoftPLC to Modbus/ModbusTCP enabled devices)
- Connection to modems or wireless networks for remote access
- Connection to cellular networks for remote management applications via TagWell
The base Smart SoftPLC CPU has an industry leading ELEVEN (11) communication ports! Smart SoftPLC is designed to be able to meet all your communication needs:
Plus, for very low cost, up to 3 factory installed communication port options can be added:
AND, for very low cost, internal support can be enabled for WiFi, Bluetooth or cellular communication.
Each Smart SoftPLC CPU is built to your order specifications, and undergoes a system-level test prior to shipment.
Use SoftPLC communication ports for:
* Other interfaces can be quickly developed, but are not currently available.
With a Smart SoftPLC, you have a LOT of I/O options! Smart SoftPLC supports a variety of I/O interfaces and can support virtually unlimited I/O points.
With no added hardware, the Smart's built-in Ethernet and serial ports can be configured to communicate to I/O products from dozens of vendors, over a number of protocols.
Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley Remote I/O (A-B RIO) is supported with up to 3 optional internal interfaces. A Smart SoftPLC can act as an A-B RIO master and/or slave.
- Modbus - any compatible devices - I/O, meters, drives, or other process equipment
- COMGENIUS supports ASCII string type protocols
- Other serial I/O drivers (eg: A-series)
- Write your own serial interface with the SoftPLC Programmer's Toolkit
Since the Smart SoftPLC has two Ethernet interfaces, one of them can be dedicated to the I/O network for optimum performance, with no interference from HMI/SCADA, programming, or peer-to-peer communications that may exist on the other network interface.
- ModbusTCP/UDP to compatible devices (including Tealware) on up to 127 remote slaves
- Write your own ethernet interface with the SoftPLC Programmer's Toolkit
Local I/OSmart SoftPLC also supports high-speed local I/O:
- SoftPLC Corporation's Tealware I/O is a modular, high speed I/O system for the Smart SoftPLC. Discrete, analog and specialty modules are available in this robust, proven, and value-priced I/O system. (NOTE: Tealware can also be connected to the Smart SoftPLC as remote I/O on Ethernet via ModbusTCP.)
- On-board FPGA I/O provides a platform for customized OEM solutions
Features of Tealware Local I/O Ready Smart SoftPLC Models
- Simple & Affordable: Smart SoftPLC's equipped with a Tealware Backplane3 interface need no rack or additional power supply and support any mix of up to (3) Tealware modules
- Low Cost: Every Smart SoftPLC equipped with a Tealware LocalPorts interface comes with built-in local and remote expansion capability. Racks do not need an expansion module, just connect them using a Local Rack Expansion Cable, available in lengths of 2, 4, 6 and 10 feet. Cable from each LocalPorts port to the first rack, then daisy chain up to 2 more racks per port using additional cables, the last rack can be up to 30 feet from the SoftPLC. This is a tremendous savings over many other vendor solutions.
- Huge Local I/O Capacity: A Smart SoftPLC can support up to 12 local racks - at 256 points per rack that means up to 3072 points of fast update local I/O!
- Remote I/O Expansion: With a Smart Adapter and Tealware I/O, each remote Ethernet drop can include up to 3 racks. Use the Remote Slave Expansion when your I/O count is extremely high, or when the racks must be separated by longer distances.
- Auto-Discover I/O Modules: With a Smart SoftPLC CPU and Tealware I/O you don’t have to spend time entering your I/O configuration into the system! Just install the modules in your racks (local and/or remote) and connect the cables. Smart SoftPLC will automatically sense which modules you have installed. A configuration file is created that lets you see the mapped modules and addresses in the TOPDOC NexGen programming software, where you can then manually make any changes you desire.
- Firmware Options - software enabled capabilities that can be added to any SoftPLC. There's so many, we've put them on their own page!
- Cables, Connectors & Accessories
- Power Supplies, Power Equipment
Options & Accessories
In addition to the factory configured hardware options (see "Models" tab), there are a number of other options available:
|ICO-PSH1524||DIN-rail mount P/S, 24VDC output, 15 Watts, 85-264VAC input|
|ICO-PSH3024||DIN-rail mount P/S, 24VDC output, 30 Watts, 85-264VAC input|
|Processor||64-bit, quad-core ARM processor|
|User Memory||minimum 512 MB RAM, 8GB on-board eMMC flash|
|Removable Memory||MicroSD slot (no SD card included)|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 60°C (-20~70°C extended temperature version available)|
|Storage Temperature||-40 ~ 85°C|
|Input Voltage Range||6 ~ 72 VDC, terminal block connector|
|Power Requirements||2-5W based on options selected|
|Time||NTP client, update via internet or NTP server on local LAN|
|Ethernet Ports||4-port managed GB Ethernet switch (10/100/1000BaseT), RJ45 ports
(w/ multiple unique host interfaces/MAC-ID's for routing functions)
|(1) GB Ethernet port, stand-alone, RJ45 port|
|Serial/USB/Other Ports||(1) RS-485 2-wire (non-isolated), 3-wire terminal block|
(2) USB 2.0 Host ports
(1) MicroUSB interface for serial console access (for troubleshooting)
|Option Ports||Factory Installed, up to 3 allowed, 3-wire terminal blocks|
|Allen-Bradley "Blue Hose" (Cat No SPO-BH)
Remote I/O Master, Remote I/O Adapter or Data Highway Plus (software selectable)
|RS-485, 2-wire, isolated (Cat No SPO-485)|
|Other Future, could be added (eg: RS-232, CAN)|
Modbus Master/Slave, DF1, ASCII
Ethernet - ModbusTCP/UDP, Ethernet/IP, DF1 Ethernet (PCCC)
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||Without modules - 5.75 x 6 x 1.5 in.
(146.1 x 152.4 x 38.1 mm)
With modules - 5.75 x 6 x 5.625 in. (146.1 x 152.4 x 142.88 mm)
|Packaging||Fanless/Diskless system, DIN-rail Mount, metal enclosure
Optional Panel Mount Bracket (SM-VBKT)
|Local I/O Interfaces (only one/system)||Backplane3 - supports any (3) Tealware modules
LocalPorts - Tealware rack bus (4 connectors, each supports up to 3 racks)
|Remote I/O Interfaces||Serial and Ethernet ports
A-B RIO via SPO-BH options
|Security||Embedded Gatecraft™ Firewall/VPN option
SSH server for encrypted data transfer
All Smart SoftPLC's are custom assembled with your selected hardware options and runtime license size. Items to be specified include:
To each of these combinations, you can then select additional hardware and firmware options (see next tab). Each Smart SoftPLC CPU is assembled with all of your selected options, then undergoes a system-level test prior to shipment.
Local I/O Interface
If you plan on using high-speed local Tealware I/O, one of the following should be selected:
|Local I/O Interface Options
|Cat No Suffix||I/O Interface|
|B||Backplane3 interface, Up to 3 Tealware Modules|
|L||LocalPorts, Up to 12 Tealware Racks|
Configurable Communication Ports
|Must be factory installed.|
|Select up to 3 per Smart SoftPLC|
|SPO-485||RS-485 (isolated 2-wire)|
|SPO-BH||A-B RIO Master||Allows SoftPLC to act as RIO scanner|
|A-B RIO Slave||Allows SoftPLC to act as RIO adapter|
|A-B DH+||A-B Data Highway Plus|
Runtime License Size Options
There are (4) runtime license sizes, which determines the maximum supported I/O capacity.
|Runtime License Sizes
|Cat No Suffix||ModbusTCP Servers||Ethernet/IP Bytes||Discrete Inputs*||Discrete Outputs*|
|* Select the size based on the larger value in either category. For example, a system with 130 inputs and 24 outputs would require a 1K version. An exception is for A-B RIO which is dictated by logical racks per the A-B RIO definition, details can be found in the A-B RIO driver documentation.|
Other Factory Installed Options
|SPO-WIFIMOD||Wifi Antenna Extension & Case Modification|
|SPO-EXTEMP||Extended Temperature Option|
- Smart SoftPLC Data Sheet Smart SoftPLC and Gateway product features and hardware specifications.
- TOPDOC NexGen Data Sheet
- Tealware I/O Configurations Data Sheet
- Smart Quick Start Guide Quick start communication configuration and troubleshooting guide for Smart family products.
- Smart/NeoPAC SoftPLC & TOPDOC NexGen User Guide (version 5) User Guide includes Smart and NeoPAC SoftPLC hardware, and use of TOPDOC NexGen for configuration for firmware version 5 SoftPLC's. It also describes how SoftPLC operates, common troubleshooting techniques, etc. Detailed programming, instruction set, and software use are in the product's online help system.
- A-B Control System Migrations Describes how SoftPLC Gateways provide great solutions for customers with A-B PLC's to do partial and phased migrations of automation systems to modern technology.
- What is a SoftPLC? Describes how unique SoftPLC(R) is - not a PLC, not PC-based control software. Includes summary of functions and possible uses.